Thursday, January 3, 2008

I Love Bruce!

I just watched a Pink Panther movie with Peter Sellers. His nose melted off, which reminded me of the book I'm reading at the moment. The Salmon of Doubt, about the closest thing to an autobiography ever put together for or by my favorite author and inspiration in life, Douglas Adams. He talks about his nose in one of the sections, describing it as a "great architectural work".
And I've discovered he lived in Santa Fe for a while. If I had known that, I could have met him amongst all the yuppie, rich art lovers and SUV drivers that populate that wonderfully surreal city. It's a law in Santa Fe to build your house in the traditional adobe style. Even the McDonald's is adobe. Can we plan a TASP reunion there? I think we could communally love the art and wine and desert.
So, the book has an Introduction written by Monty Python's Terry Jones. And even an Introduction to the Introduction, to set a record for the number of Introductions in a book, giving Douglas Adams the distinction his written works deserve. (paraphrased from Jones' Introductions)
I used to think people were ridiculous for living in Phoenix because the weather was warm, just to go inside and turn on the air conditioning. But, as the temperature continues to drop: 0F, -10F, -20F, -30F (last night), I begin to realize that people in Colorado are ridiculous for the very same reason. We live in this unbelievably cold climate so we can maybe go skiing on the off weekend, and then spend the rest of the winter locked inside with our fires blazing, wearing six sweaters, and constantly drinking hot chocolate. No one goes outside, because the temperature is literally breath-taking. When I walk from the main school building to the band room every day, I hear a huge sucking noise. Everyone is sucking in the last breath of warm air they may ever take.



I love all of you!!!
Ana

1 comment:

Laura Kling said...

In one of the Indiana Jones movies--I think it's Raiders of the Lost Ark--the Nazis get all of their faces melted off.
Maybe it's the sign of an awesome movie.

Ana, it is too cold where you live.
Except I guess hot chocolate is nice.
Even so.