Thursday, January 3, 2008

Holy Huck.

NBC is projecting that the Huckster has taken Iowa in the Republican primary. If Edwards wins, we can have a Battle of the Heavily-Accented Populists in 2008 (almost as good as a Giuliani-Clinton Subway Series, except I think I'd move to Mexico if either Huckabee or Edwards were to become president.)
On the upside, I'm going to register to vote tomorrow! And, in fact, I am able to vote in the primary. But you can't vote in a primary as an independent, so I think I'm going to have to side with the Democrats. Or the Greens, or the Libertarians. Love that unfettered capitalism! (but at least those who get screwed can do all the drugs they want as a way to forget about their poverty.) Oh, and Laura, they're actually letting us register at school, so we can throw a party there. That will be even better than a party at someone's house, especially because our new dean of students can come yell at us for being too loud. He's growing a beard.
On an unrelated note, I have a four page history research paper to write tonight. I haven't started it yet.
This election has barely started and it's already depressing. Perhaps Joseph Beuys can cheer me up. At least he still likes America.



They have quite an impressive selection of art videos on YouTube. Stellar!

6 comments:

Laura Kling said...

It makes me so sad that I didn't apply to any international schools.

But it's Romney and McCain in New Hampshire, right?

Man, I'm so bummed out. At least you get to have a fun party. You should make shirts.

Dylan Kenny said...

First things first - who else loves the language of the caucus? "Huckabee has taken Iowa." - forcibly, behind a construction site, like a scene from an Ayn Rand novel.
Also, why Mexico? Not that I have anything against the idea, but I think France and Italy are the traditional ex-pat hotspots. Maybe England.
Or I guess Mexico, if you like the player piano and you're this guy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conlon_Nancarrow

Ana said...

You just reminded me, I have to register!
But I have to drive fifteen miles to the courthouse to do it. I was supposed to do it sometime this break, but that hasn't happened yet. I haven't even been out of my pajamas and the odd pair of sweats for over a week now. I don't think I can go back to school now after this freedom!
Good luck on the history paper. I'm supposed to be memorizing my lines for the drama play, but my knitting is a much more pressing matter.

Liv Carman said...

I'm pre-registered. Everyone in my economics class had to do it. People from Wilson shouldn't vote.

The idea of an Obama/Edwards ticket as a real possibility isn't exactly thrilling to me, but it's definitely better than the alternatives, so hooray!

Dominick Lawton said...

I can't vote in the U.S., or anywhere. Oh well. As for the caucus, I kept hoping that throngs of Gravel supporters would descend from their mountain huts to rocket the man to a dizzying lead - or, better yet, that Gravel himself would burst onto the scene and personally threaten every Iowan who refused to caucus for him - but, sadly, this was not the case, and our president will probably end up being either another bland, centrist Democrat, or Mike Huckabee.

Anonymous said...

"First things first - who else loves the language of the caucus? 'Huckabee has taken Iowa.' - forcibly, behind a construction site, like a scene from an Ayn Rand novel."

I was going for that. I'm so glad you understood.

"People from Wilson shouldn't vote."

I know what you mean. When I went upstairs to the voter registration table this morning and saw who else was up there, I kind of wanted to cry. Registering to vote is apparently the cool thing to do. Democracy is kind of getting too trendoid for me.