Thursday, February 14, 2008

Planet of the Apes?

With God as my wittness, not a word of this is made up.

Some backstory:

My friend Dev is a blackbelt in karate (which is worth about one hundred hilarious stories in and of itself), and his old instructor's brother recently bought some substantial acreage in Wilson, on which he has constructed one of those epic, Tasteless Mansions that anyone who lives in the almost-country knows and loves. No one really knows how this guy got so much money, but we are aware of one source of his income. "Charlie the Chimp," a small chimpanzee with relatively impressive martial arts training, is a staple at state and county fairs. When our new neighbor goes to the local grocery store, you can bet that Charlie is with him, seated comfortably in a bag while his master peruses the Hamburger Helper. I suppose "Karate Chimp" counts as a helper animal, though I'd be more inclined to use the word "henchman."

Remember what I said about this being true, and stay with me here.

For the past two years, this guy has been trying to construct a chimpanzee sanctuary on his property. Some problems:
  1. His first proposal utilized a chainlink fence and, I'm assuming, prayer to keep the chimps inside his property.
  2. Since animal sanctuaries are untaxable, everyone assumes he's doing this as some kind of a crazy tax dodge, especially as his McMansion is on the same part of his property as the sanctuary would be (and would therefore be tax-free).
  3. Neighbors are afraid that the chimps will escape his property, eat their garbage, and be impossible to shoo away as they will be trained in karate... I'd just like to recap here: they are afraid that chimpanzees trained in the martial arts will get into their garbage and run amok, due to their superior skills in hand-to-hand combat.

In response to all of the above, there was a huge town meeting a couple of weeks ago to attempt to resolve the issue. He unveiled elaborate blueprints detailing a sort of chimpanzee compound/supervillian lair, with three layers of concrete walls and automatically-sealing doors, a cage network, and for absolutely no reason, several thousand birds. Experts were brought in from across the region, character witnesses attested to the fact that, no really, this guy isn't a Batman villian, and a neighborhood watch official from an area in Niagara Falls that has such a sanctuary reported that he had experienced no chimp-related incidents, though the Niagara Falls chimps went untrained. "They have the strength of ten men, you know!"

However, I am sad to report, the Karate-Chimps-Will-Eat-My-Garbage-And-Render-Me-Helpless-What-With-Their-Plank-Breaking camp stayed firm, and the issue goes unresolved. The two-year battle continues. It isn't even a legal battle, really, as there's nothing stopping him from building the sanctuary right now. That's actually the most baffling part of all of this. His neighbors include a dairy farm and perhaps two other houses, depending on your definition of "neighbor," and he still demands community support before he begins constuction.

I'd send Charlie my condolences, but I'm afraid he'd eat my garbage and incapacitate me.

14 comments:

Ana said...

Wow, Liv, I want to live in Wilson! We never have anything exciting like that happen here. I mean, there are lots of animals, but no exotic ones. And definitely not highly-trained ones used for tax evasion.
I just feel bad for the poor chimps, it gets cold in the winter in NY!
Reminds me of the alligator farm that's about 50ish miles from where I live. High altitude gators!

Liv Carman said...

Hahaha, wow. My cousin in Louisiana hunts alligators. No joke. They have the texture of pork but taste like fish -- gross stuff. I've no idea why anyone would farm them. But then, I've no idea why anyone would teach a chimpanzee karate, so eh.

Ana said...

Well, they call it the "Gator Farm", but it's more like a gator sanctuary where a bunch of rescue gators and other reptiles, fish, and lizards have ended up. I think a lot of them are cast-off pets.
It's kind of interesting. There are lots of hot springs around that area, so they transformed that particular one into a gator habitat. They even wrestle gators and give lessons to wrestle.
Don't ask me why they call it the gator farm if they mostly don't eat the gators! I'd never thought about it...

Laura Kling said...

I seriously think you should write a book about your life while in high school. It'd be so much more interesting than Gossip Girls.

Big Mac said...

but not more interesting than the clique.

Gili said...

holy shit mac I completely forgot to tell you. I had to make an urgent Borders' run the other day because the newest clique book just hit stores and Maya absolutely needed it. You need to go out and buy it, she tells me it's the best one yet. It's called, "Bratfest at Tiffany's," clever, I know.

Ana said...

On that note, Gili, I have to say "Breakfast at Tiffany's" has to be one of my favorite movies ever.

Laura Kling said...

But think about how much better "Bratfest at Tiffany's" would be. Just think about it.

Ana said...

I can't even imagine how amazing it would be.
It would be like all my wildest dreams.
Last night I had a dream that my cousins and I were swimming in this swamp and we had lots of alcohol that I had to carry around.
So "Bratfest at Tiffany's" would be that awesome.

Anonymous said...

I love all five of you.

Ana said...

And Gili, I finally watched "Across the Universe" last night. I absolutely love it!

Big Mac said...

ana...swimming in a swamp with alcohol? this smacks of the ballad of the sad cafe. i can only assume this to be true, because i cannot imagine you being involved in such highly illegal hijinks.
and don't knock bratfest at tiffany's 'til you've actually read it. i'm sure it's going to be amazing.

Ana said...

I never said it wasn't going to be amazing, Mac. I think my dream about my cousins and swamps and alcohol was really awesome. I think it was symbolic of the peer pressure of partying in high school. Like, you get into the swamp of alcohol and it's really hard to get yourself out while carrying the memory of all that booze. So, "Bratfest at Tiffany's" is probably amazing and prophetic and a statement of girls today.
Ok, I just made all of that up, but I'm supposed to be writing some "metaphorical narratives" so I guess symbolism is on my mind.

Dylan Kenny said...

This is absurdly late, but this might have been my favorite blog post ever.
I nearly cried.