Sunday, February 3, 2008

3. La mujer pasa mucho tiempo arreglando su pelo.

I'm doing my homework for one of the classes I'm taking at Truman, Spanish Conversations.
There's a grammar review and a vocabulary lesson for each chapter in the book, Conversación y controversia. This week's chapter is "La popularidad: hombres y mujeres," the idea of celebrity and the battle of the sexes.

All I really have to do for the grammar review is type out a bunch of sentences from the book, changing them from the present tense to the present perfect tense and stuff.
For example:
The exercise says, "You say that women are always more beautiful than men, right?"
And I change that to say, "You have said that women have always been more beautiful than men, right?"
Same with "Women observe the stupid things that men do" and "Women spend a lot of time fixing their hair."
I keep expecting Microsoft Word to put a bright green zigzag underneath what I'm typing, and when I right click on it, it'll say, "Unspeakably sexist (consider revising)."

5 comments:

Big Mac said...

Por que? (I don't know how to change the language) Tu pasas mucho tiempo arreglando tu pelo, si?

Laura Kling said...

Paso todo el tiempo así, Mac.

No sé por qué hablo contigo.

Big Mac said...

Hay alguna vez cuando este no es cierto? No lo creo. (Incidentally, correct my spanish if i'm ever wrong). weird, i just stopped capitalizing.

Anonymous said...

I like that they try to sex up your Spanish class by trying to stir up "controversia." I also like that they think the themes "Fame" and "Battle of the Sexes" are so intimately related that the latter can serve as a subtitle for the former.

And I like you. So, hey, everybody wins.

Liv Carman said...

So much love!

See, in my French class, the only form of sexism is in how retarded my teacher is -- she's like a living sexist statement.

She did get my friend Dev to forge a signature on a recipt of sale for her NYS vehicle registration application, though, so the sleeze makes up for the lack of, you know, teaching. Or maybe not so much.

I like Laura too, so I guess I still win.