Tuesday, June 3, 2008

My last column..dedicated to...hypocrite lecteur...mon semblable, - mon frere...whatever...dedicated to cornell tasp 07...for L.L Nunn...i guess..eeww

Reading,” Schopenhauer writes, “is equivalent to thinking with someone else’s head instead of with one’s own.”

Reading,” you think, “no one does that anymore. I read chapter summaries on a popular website for students who don’t like to read. And anyway, if Brian Sherwin is telling me that Schopenhauer wrote that reading is preventing me from thinking for myself, then I shouldn’t read, anyway!”

Wrong, but I don’t want to give you a longwinded explanation of why you should read. However, since I must write a column for the Hilltop Beacon, I’ll spend a tiny slice of your time to tell you why you should read. But I don’t like to be dogmatic, though. I don’t want to force you to do something that you don’t want to do. You go to Roslyn; you are constantly being told what to do by your parents, your teachers, your friends, your voices in your head, which are not the telltale signs of insanity. The voices in your head are your unique thoughts that other people cannot steal or see or read or hear. But that sort of contradicts my attempt to convince you to read because reading would plant an ancient author’s insane ramblings in your brain instead of allowing you to think for yourself. I’ve heard “think for yourself” so much that I don’t know what the phrase means anymore, though. But I want you to read! Here’s why you should read…

Alright, imagine that you are illiterate. You are unable to gather new information for yourself except for what you hear from other people. You walk into a grocery store (I don’t support product placement, so I won’t name the store Pathmark). You obliviously walk past the smiling cashiers and…forget the article, which I am writing at the moment because recent complaints from Complaints Choirs Worldwide have forced me to stop writing about illiteracy. They think that people from Roslyn High School aren’t going to start reading because of a silly little article that no one is going to read anyway. They think that Roslyn High School students should just join Complaints Choirs Worldwide to complain about everything. At least the complainers will learn how to unionize.

Complaints Choirs Worldwide would like me to say a few words about their history.

It happened in Helsinki, Finland. It was cold. Tellervo Kalleinen and Oliver Kochta-Kalleinen were walking in a park. They huddled together with a large group of people. Naturally, the group complained about the weather. There is a Finnish expression which means “complaints choir,” which describes when a large group of people are complaining collectively. The Kalleinens thought that taking the expression literally would be a good idea.

The first Complaints Choir was started in Birmingham, England. They sang about complaints. After the success of the Birmingham Complaints Choir, the Kalleinens were invited to initiate choirs across the world.

Now that I think about it…I am basically just a professional complainer. I’ve complained about boredom, the conception of the self, RCP (in an unpublished article), complaining, and people who use SparkNotes. So, another thought pops into my puny pulp of a brain. Oh…what was the thought? I can’t tell you. It’s a secret.

I think both of us have had enough nonsense. Let’s just shake hands, part ways, and forget that my column ever existed.

I’ve always wanted to end a column with the word mayonnaise.

3 comments:

Big Mac said...

i think your school newspaper is so much more legit than mine. i've been told by my friend, the former editor of the mustang roundup, that being in newspaper was a lot like the new mtv show, 'the paper.' i've never seen it, but if it's on mtv, it's probably not the kind of thing you want to be a part of. the highlight of the paper is a coupon for a free blizzard from dairy queen.

Laura Kling said...

A few weeks ago, mine had a word search taking up a fourth of the paper, and a justification for the word search taking up another fourth, and by some terrible mistake, none of the words in the word bank were actually in the search.
But the paper's mascot is Katzenjammer the Tiger. So, you know, it's a little amazing.

Also. Brian. Brian Sherwin. Have I told you how much I love you?

So much.

Ana said...

Our school newspaper doesn't even get published. Last year, I was in the journalism class that was supposed to get it out, and our school kind of fell apart, so our paper did as well. Apart from that, it was pretty pathetic anyway. We had some articles on scientific discoveries, one on the Confederate flag, and the rest of the paper was really light-hearted to apologize to all those bastard racist white guys for putting in that half-page article on the history and implications of the Confederate flag that they hung over our school one Monday. I hate my school, and I'm glad to be gone.
On a lighter note, I love all you TASPers so much because the world has hope because of you wonderful people with your wonderful thoughts!
And Brian, I was always confused about "think for yourself" and then reading and accepting other people's thoughts. I still find it strange, but I love reading a book that I can disagree with.