Saturday, May 31, 2008

Pobrecitos conejitos

I had a graduation party with the kids from my Catholic elementary school, since we're all still friends. There was a lot of food left over, so we took home a veggie tray and some cheese. No one in my family likes radishes, though, so we didn't know what to do with them. I didn't really worry about it.
My brothers, benevolent friends to animals that they are, decided to throw them to the rabbits in our yard.

Wait, not to the rabbits. At the rabbits.

I didn't know about it until I heard them talking last night about how Joey hit three of them.

And of course they defended themselves.
"No, Laura, it's not sociopathic."
"The rabbits need food!"
"We're not throwing them hard, really. They slow down because of the air resistance, and they're never high enough for acceleration due to gravity to have much of an effect."
"The rabbits aren't hurt, they're happy! Happy because they love radishes!"
"You just want the rabbits to starve."
"Laura, why do you hate bunnies?"

5 comments:

Ana said...

I live in Conejos County. I'm not sure the name came from the plethora of rabbits, or the tendency of the people of my county to multiply like rabbits.
My little cousins found 8 baby rabbits in their ditch. The mother had abandoned them, and my uncle was going to run water down the ditch. So now, my little cousins are bottle feeding the rabbits.
Of course, these are the cousins with 9 dogs,12 cats, 60 goats, at least 20 cows, 5 horses, 6 geese, chickens, ducks, peacocks...

Ana said...

And I'm sorry for the rabbits that your brothers confused feeding with traumatizing.

Big Mac said...

i think your cousins are cool. i'm sorry i couldn't come to your graduation party--i was a little busy. i think maybe i should start capitalizing things, but i also think maybe it's a waste of effort.

laura, i don't think you hate bunnies. why are your brothers so awful? i thought andrew was pretty nice when we met him in new york. i never would have thought he'd be a rabbit abuser. the things that happen behind closed doors...

Liv Carman said...

I liked imagining everything in that story as your brothers talking about their (hypothetical) children instead of rabbits. Like, they were explaining themselves to the Child Protection Agency.

"They weren't high enough for acceleration due to gravity to take effect," etc, etc.

Dominick Lawton said...

My parents have always thrown food at me at mealtimes. I don't see what the fuss is about.