Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Montreal!

So I am currently in Montreal visiting Aurelie, and this will be a joint-post from the both of us. Several anecdotes from our adventures in la belle province:

You know you're from Montreal when...
- it's safer to walk in the middle of the street than on the icy sidewalks.
- random people walk down the streets smoking joints in plain sight.
- the bubble tea slushies are so cold that they give you brain freezes.
- some restaurants have menus only in English, some only in French.
- people play the 3rd movement of Tchaikovsky's violin concerto so fast that the accompanist can't keep up.
- the subways and Chinatown are both clean.
- they make you pay to walk into churches.
- they have rock concerts in churches.

And other random anecdotes:
- we called Dominick on Sunday and talked to him over the speakerphone. We got to hear him urinate. It was memorable.
- Aurelie is the baby (not over 18) so we couldn't get into a bar - and ended up drinking tea with 6 other people at midnight.
- Aurelie's family initiated a debate over artwork that nobody (besides me) had ever seen.
- conversation between us- me: Where did you get your bracelet from? Aurelie: Martinique. me: is that a shop around here? Aurelie: it's an island in the Caribbean...
- Phone call with Valentin- us: Hey Valentin! Are you on break? Valentin: no, I'm in class...
- We try to contact David P. We call his cellphone. It is off. We call his home phone (but we misdial the number): Aurelie: hi, this is Aurelie from the summer program TASP. Is David home? Some random woman: We don't have any David working here... Then we try to redial the number, and we get the message that this phone number does not accept solicitations. Epic fail.

We love you guys.

5 comments:

Laura Kling said...

I'm so sad I missed your call! I was in class but not doing anything interesting. Talking to you guys would've been eight times cooler.

Speaking of awesome, I really really like joint posts. I miss you guys.

Alina said...

Aaaah I want to go to Montreal.
And rock concerts in churches?

Anonymous said...

Laura, only eight times? :O)

Laura Kling said...

Oh, you're right. I meant maybe eight million.

...Although... thermodynamics... Gibb's Free Energy... It's pretty cool. There are so many variables! Such profound implications!

So you know, it's a tough call--talking to them, or doing these practice AP problems.


I've probably told bigger lies in my life, but I can't name any offhand.

Julieta said...

You called me during my English class and my phone was NOT on silent so my ridiculous ringtone started playing. And to my great dismay, our anal English teacher intern was there and started giving us hell about the phone going off. So, I fessed up and handed over my phone. And it got sent to the office and I had to bring my dad and $15 to school to get it back. BUT IT WAS SOO DAMN WORTH IT! (even though we didn't get to talk)