Friday, March 28, 2008

The Fame of my Hometown

I was born (but don't live) in a town that's known for sunshine and clean water-according to the mayor of Alamosa in her interview on NPR the other day.
If you looked up Alamosa on search engines before last week, you might have discovered that we celebrate being the coldest place in the nation. Not much to celbrate about, but when it's that cold, you'll basically celebrate anything to stay warm and alive.
Now we can proudly say that all the water is undrinkable because of a Salmonella outbreak. The intelligent water resource guys were very clever because they accidentally sliced a sewer line that somehow managed to contaminate one of the storage tanks.
So now, Alamosa will have chlorinated water forever.
I'm happy to say: number one, I don't live in Alamosa; and two, my house has its own well.
Then again, I live 1/4 mile from a contaminated river, so I could go crazy because of the amount of aluminum in the water. But at least I won't be throwing up and other stuff...

4 comments:

Laura Kling said...

That's tragic. And so cold!
The wikipedia article makes the town sound like such a nice place, except for the Salmonella. They have a Sunshine Summerfest on the Rio Festival.

Ana said...

Yeah, it used to be a really fun thing, but now it's just a beer fest with a bunch of popular drunk people. And even though it's always freezing it's ALWAYS sunny. Solar energy really makes sense around here. Supposedly 300 days of sunshine a year. Also, I think wind energy would really be effective in the spring. We can't fly kites, the wind is so strong it might just pick us up and carry us to Mexico. Which I really wouldn't mind if it got me away from the wind.

Laura Kling said...

And then you could go see el Clásico, the football (soccer) game between the Chivas and América.
Because, you know, that's going on in a couple of weeks. My family's pretty excited.

Also, I'm glad you're not dying from water.

Ana said...

I think my death is more of a slow degeneration from "heavy metal" water. :)
Well, water with lots of metals in it. Thank you Robert Friedland and the Summitville Mine for polluting my well!
I didn't know that was going on. I love football, but sadly I don't stay informed about it. I will, however, play football anytime with anyone. In the dark is the best, in the middle of the road. And I'm not very savy on the rules, so I tend to make up my own. In my defense, the last time I played organized football was in 3rd grade.