Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Birthday, V.N.

So it's Nabokov's birthday today. The 23rd, that is. 110 today. 100 years younger than A. Pushkin and officially 335 years younger than Shakes. Some more trivia about V.N.-Day: April 23rd is the major feast day of St. George; 1616, Cervantes and Shakespeare die; 1858, the beginning of the end for classical wave physics; 1928, cocktail-drinking teetotalers everywhere gear up; 1968, Columbia University is shut down for gym maintenance; 1982, citizens of Key West, Fla. bored with rest of country; 1988, the moon finally comes back; 2009, Mac desperately avoids anything remotely resembling work.

5 comments:

Laura Kling said...

Dude, my mom's birthday is on the 27th. Monday! I need to call her. I think I might've forgotten if you hadn't mentioned this.

Thanks, Mac Krumpak.

Also, Cervantes and Shakespeare died on the same day? Is that some kind of major cultural trivia that I just didn't know? I have a final really soon and I am way too sleepy to take it.

Big Mac said...

Good. I'm glad I'm being so helpful. Also, I didn't know 'til I checked wikipedia. But I guess it's kind of a big deal, because today is apparently an international celebration of books.

wielderofice said...

I like today! I like you!

Was there some sort of dispute over N's birthday?

Big Mac said...

i don't think so...though according to the russian article on nabokov, his birthday is the twenty-second. but nabokov liked to claim the 23rd, because it deepened his roots in classical literature.

Liv Carman said...

I actually have yet to read any Nabokov. I've had much less time for reading this year than I thought I would.