Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Julia il topo

"Topo" means "mouse." In Italian.

So as you know, I live in a ridiculous building. Our latest adventures, besides the bird that was stuck in the fireplace of the room next door, involve the mice that have decided to make our suites their homes.

My suitemate Sage is terrified of them.

The Harvard-Yale Pierson tailgate went really well. We had a bunch of brownies left over, so we left them shrink-wrapped in a cardboard box in our suite over break. There was nothing else to do with them, really.

So last night, we were all in the suite (except for Sage, which is good, because she would've hated this), and Sharon and Rhia, my roommate and other suitemate, heard scratching noises coming from the box of brownies. I ran upstairs to our friends' suite, where Riley was doing homework. 
I asked him, "Want to go on a mission?"
He did want to go on a mission.

We grabbed a plastic storage tub and went back to my suite, where we held the box above the tub and lifted trays of brownies up, one by one.

He was hiding underneath the last tray, of course. When I saw him, I jumped, and we dropped him into the tub.
He was tiny, and fuzzy, and really pretty cute. Sage has nothing to worry about. She's still worried.

Everyone gathered around from all over our entryway to see the adorable mouse. We were all talking about how he was so cute, and how he was probably scared to death, and trying to figure out what to do with him.
Then Vicky asked, "How do you know it's not a girl? I think her name's Julia."

So now we have Julia the mouse. Now that she's got a name, we can't just get rid of her. So we stole some cereal and carrots from the dining hall, and we put a plate of water and some shredded paper in the bottom of the tub for her. And we moved the tub upstairs, so that Sage didn't have an aneurism. 

The whole gender issue is a really big concern, but we've decided those that feel that the mouse might suffer permanent psychological damage from gender misassignment can just call it Jules.

8 comments:

Liv Carman said...

I have two things to say to that:

1) Awwwww!

2) If Julia/Jules bites you, you had better go to the doctor's ASAP. You may all be a little crazy.

Are you going to eventually let him/her free, or will you have a domesticated brownie thief?

Laura Kling said...

Oh, we know. If she bites us, we'll definitely get checked out. We don't want to die of terrible rodent diseases.
I don't really know what her eventual fate's going to be. We might set her loose outside, but it's cold. We might put her in one of the other freshman dorms.
(Honestly, we won't do that, but we think it'd be so funny to put her in Farnham, because the kids in Jonathan Edwards probably deserve it) And Cameron said that if it comes down to it, he and his brother can probably take her home over break if she's still doing okay.

She's so, so cute.

Ana said...

Don't do that! Alyssa's in JE! She would literally die.
Also, we have a rat/mouse that lives outside (but I think inside, too) of our dorm. His name is Eugene. But he's not in a box.

Laura Kling said...

I hope it's a mouse and not a rat. And don't worry, we won't attack Alyssa. I wish her no ill.

Besides, we like Julia too much. She's started to nest.

Big Mac said...

i hear you lost your mouse.

Laura Kling said...

Yeah! They let her go! I didn't even get to say goodbye.

Alina said...

Oh no! :(

Julieta said...

Hahaha, some girls in high school used to call me Jules. I don't think I am as cute as your Jules though