Sunday, October 7, 2007

Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key

I just got back from the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival in San Francisco. It was insane - something like 100,000 people showed up - and for good reason. This festival is in beautiful Golden Gate Park, has an amazing lineup, and is TOTALLY FREE. Anyway, I got really excited because I saw THREE - count 'em, three - "Ithaca is Gorges" shirts. They were all on people who looked to be about college-age, but Cornell is in session and SF, last I checked, is on the other side of the country. Thus, by such infallible reason, I concluded that they were all former TASPers. I thought about yelling "TASP" as loud as I could, to see if they turned around, but decided my assumption was good enough.
That night, I had a dream in which it was the last day of TASP all over again - except the Telluride House was in Central Park. I had a Wonder Years-style inner monologue running in my dream: "Walking past that house, I couldn't help but think how beautiful my time there had been. In the middle of the bustling City, blah blah blah..."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, you should've said it, Dylan! Or better yet, get on top of a mountain and yell out some random tasp-related and otherwise completely incomprehensible jargon. (This is what we all secretly wish to do, right?)

Laura Kling said...

What's a bluegrass festival like on the west coast?
I'm used to being surrounded by the whole "We're from the Midwest and Folk and Country and Bluegrass are our Roots because we're Good Country Folks" attitude toward music festivals.
I bet it's different in San Francisco. Is it different in San Francisco?

Dylan Kenny said...

It really depends on where you are in California. Near my area, you're far more likely to encounter "Good Country Folks". In San Francisco, it's more like "We're Worldly and High, and Folk and Country and Bluegrass are Easy to Play whilst Inebriated (plus the kitsch value is through the roof) and also We Love Weird America and its Songbook". It's quite fun.