Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Unforgettable BR, among other things

That "BR" is obviously the "Unforgettable" Bruce Robbins. So why would I remember such a beloved character from the summer of 2007? I am continually reminded of TASP-related things when I do the reading for my post-colonial African history course. It's been all Spivak (according to wikipedia she was the second woman to be "elected" to membership in the TA) and post-colonial critical theory. This time it was national shame and blame. So I googled it and here I deliver a link to that lecture (well, to the article that it produced) we will never forget : http://www.columbia.edu/~bwr2001/papers/comp_national_blaming.pdf

And,a side note--I challenge a TASPer to make Matthew Evangelista a wikipedia page. Come on guys, you know he deserves it.

That's it. Not much of post but I'll just add, has anyone else gotten those facebook invitations to Telluride reunions? If you are in Chicago or the Bay Area you have no excuse to pass these reunions up. If you go call me and/or post about it. I need my TA fix.

7 comments:

Laura Kling said...

Neither of our professors have pages on wikipedia. But some of my current professors do. It's weird.

Sometimes I meet kids who went to other TASPs, and we don't really talk. There's several in our year that I'm not really friends with. I don't dislike them. We just don't talk.

Big Mac said...

there's a telluride reunion in chicago? when? where? is it free? is there food?

Julieta said...

Join the "All Telluride Associates" facebook group--it's one of their events. It's April 17th.

And with all this talk of cults lately; a quote from the fb group's description "Now--get to cultin'! "--well said.

Liv Carman said...

You Seminar I people need to visit Cornell so you can personally arrive at Kirshner's office and ask for your essays back.

I'm trying to talk Dom into visiting and doing just that.

Laura Kling said...

Shameless, Liv. Shameless.

Julieta said...

Actually, I emailed Evangelista after TASP and I sent him my paper (apparently Kirshner got mine and well...who knows where it went). He responded fairly quickly (for having to read 12 pgs of something I wrote in one loong night). And, note my humility here, he said "It is really excellent and I enjoyed reading it a lot". Also there was a "Well done!" in there. I would add more of the compliments but, you know, I'm a humble person. Either Evagelista had low standards for me or it was hella good. Clearly the latter.

Liv Carman said...

That's awesome!

If it's any consolation, Kirshner is awful to people here as a rule (I think he just likes having a hardass reputation), so it wasn't anything personal against you Seminar I folk. I haven't had him for anything myself, but I've heard things from government/political science majors.